Q & A - vraag
09 - Technique / Solving problems
Enamel retracts from the edge
Enamel retracts from the edge.
Remedy: if enamel is too finely ground, apply thinner coats. Remove burrs with a fine file.
- Fat and other dirt was not completely removed from he edge .
- Enamel was applied too thickly at the edge.
- The enamel was not completely dry. In this case, when fired enamel is pushed away by the water which starts to boil.
- Burrs wre not removed from the metal; some water may still be present between burrs during firing.
- The enamel contains too many fine particles.
For the rest: clean the edge thoroughly with a fine file or other polishing material and apply enamel again.